Working Hours:The library shall function in the following hours unless otherwise specified by the librarian On all working days (except holidays).
Monday to Friday: 09.00 A.M to 12.00 A.M
All Saturdays and Sundays: 09.00 A.M to 12.00 P.M
Library Open Access:All the library members have partial open access to library documents. This facility is granted to library members to encourage their reading habits and to promote the maximum use of library documents.
Library Admission:Library admission shall be granted to the members of the library provided that
- Each member shall sign the gate register in token of his acceptance to adhere to the rules of the library.
- Each student shall be required to produce the Identity Card on demand.
- The member should not under the influence of intoxicants.
- The member shall be properly dressed.
- The member shall not carry any belongings except money purse, note book and reference cards
- Library Attendant at the check counter is empowered to examine every thing that passes into/out of the library.
- The member should keep silence within the library.
- The member should not smoke nor spit in the library.
- The member should not misbehave nor damage the documents or other properties of the library.
- Library documents taken out for consultation from shelves should not be Restored to the shelves; they should be left on the reading tables in the library.
Loan Privileges:Library documents can be borrowed for home use normally during the lending hours as specified by the librarian from time to time. Books to be loaned for overnight shall be issued half an hour before the closing time and have to be returned within the first hour of the opening of the library on the next day.
The faculty members can borrow eight books from SNU Library The students can borrow two books from SNU Library.
Loan Period:Loaning period for various library documents for different categories is as follows:
1) Books: a). Faculty and Staff: 4 weeks b). Students and other readers : 2 weeks
2) Reserved Books: Faculty and Students: One book for overnight
3) Periodicals and Serials: Faculty and Students: Two for overnight
4) Theses, dissertations, books of plates, rare books, books out of print, reprints, microfilms, reference books of general nature such as encyclopedia, almanacs, directories, hand books, reports, pamphlets, technical bulletins shall not be issued for home reading and can be consulted in the library.
Loan Conditions:Books shall be loaned subject to the following conditions.
- Borrower should get satisfied that the library document lent is in sound condition and the pages are neither missing nor torn. In case a library document is found to be damaged and the same has not been reported to the Library Attendant, the borrower shall be held responsible for such damage (s) and the borrower shall be required to replace it or pay the value there of as determined by the Librarian.
- Library document should not be spoiled by underlining or writing with pen, pencil, ink, or by any other means.
- Library document loaned for the normal period may be renewed for one more loan period on production of the same provided they are not already claimed by other readers.
- Library document is non-transferable, nor shall any member borrow library documents(s) on other member's account.
- Member can borrow library documents only once in a day.
- Library documents which in the opinion of the Librarian are not in good condition shall not be issued for home reading.
- Library documents to be taken on loan should be presented at the check / deposit counter with the gate pass issued at the Issue Counter for checking.
Fines and Penalties:
- The following charges shall be recovered for each library document retained more than the period of loan from the borrower.
i) Books: Rs. 1/- per day during over due.
ii) Library documents issued for over night : Rs.1/- per day during over due.
In the above cases if the fine exceeds the value of the document, the rules framed for loss of books shall be applied.
- Books lost: The member shall report immediately to the Librarian loss of any library document (s) borrowed from the library. The following charges shall be recovered for the loss of library document (s). i) General book: Replacement or the current price plus Rs.10/- as fine.
- Damage or Mutilation: Replacement or repairs or the cost of the document plus fine up to Rs.50/-.
- Unauthorized removal of the library documents: Removing library documents without getting them properly issued is a serious misdemeanor and Librarian shall have powers to impose fine up to Rs.50/-.
ii) Text book, multi volumes book and reference book : Replacement or current price plus Rs.10/- as fine. The cost of the complete set shall have to be paid along with the fine for the loss of single volume if it is not available separately.
iii) Bound volume of periodicals : Replacement or five times the cost of the volume plus Rs.10/- as fine.
Reprographic Services (Print, Scan and Photocopying):
- Photocopy service is offered for library books and journal articles for Rs. 1/- per copy to all the students.
- Print and Scan services can be offered between 4.00 P.M to 8.00 P.M for all the students for Rs.2/- per page.